Students are eligible for homebound/hospital tutoring after they have missed two consecutive weeks of school due to illness or injury. If you know that the student will be out for more than two weeks, you should begin the application process before the two-week eligibility date so that services can begin as soon as the student is eligible. Until homebound/hospital tutoring has been approved, you must inform the Guidance office at Kaneland High School to arrange to pick up assignments. The Guidance Office will forward a packet to the parents to complete and send back to the school. Guidance will forward the information to the Offices of Special Services.
The following procedures are to be followed in order to receive tutoring services.
1. The parent must request homebound tutoring in writing to the Guidance office or Educational Services Department if IEP student, by filling out the Pupil Information section of the Request for Hospital/Homebound Instruction Form (see attached form).
2. A doctor must complete the Medical Certification section of the Request for Hospital/Homebound Instruction Form indicating the time student will be homebound.
3. The Request for Hospital/Homebound Instruction Form should be returned as soon as possible to the respective counselor of the student. The form is then sent through the proper channels for approval. If approval is made, appropriate hours per week are established for tutoring. The respective hospitals have their own tutors in house.
4. A tutor is engaged appropriate to the student’s academic needs. This tutor will contact the hospital/homebound student/parent and make arrangements for a mutually convenient tutoring time. The tutor will act as liaison between teacher and student.
5. There are certain classes, which do not lend themselves to the hospital/homebound instruction. Every attempt will be made to provide the student with an appropriate and realistic schedule to meet their individual needs.
When the student is ready to attend classes again, arrangements for re-entry to classes will be determined on an individual basis.